Ashley’s Recommendations: Even better with fresh herbs! Increase each to 2 tbsp when fresh.
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/3 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/4 pound andouille sausage, chopped or bulk pork sausage, crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 2 medium-size (about 1 lb. total) firm-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 tsp each dry oregano leaves, dry basil leaves, and dry thyme leaves
- Chowder base (recipe follows)
- 2 cups (about 1/2 lb.) sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound cleaned geoduck siphon and/or mantle
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat, combine bacon, sausage, and onion; stir often until well browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon out and discard fat.
Add to pan the celery, bell pepper, tomato, oregano, basil, thyme, and chowder base. Bring mixture to a boil (if made ahead, let cool, cover, and chill until next day; reheat to continue).
Add geoduck, stir, and remove from heat immediately. Ladle chowder into bowls.
Chowder base: Mix together 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1 bottle (8 oz.) clam juice, 1 can (12 oz.) tomato juice, and 1 1/2 cups chicken broth.